Around Retreat, we call zamioculcas zamiifolia, easy ZZ. The ZZ is a truly easy houseplant that’s absolutely perfect for beginners. It is low-light friendly, requires minimal watering, but still has a deep green glossy leaf that’s stunning. We’ve even had a few customers dub this particular plant “un-killable.” If you were to kill a ZZ plant, it would probably be from over-watering. Otherwise, we would tend to agree!
Hailing originally from Africa, this amazingly resilient plant will usually tolerate whatever neglect you throw at it. As a bonus, it also tends to be pest resistant. Can you think of a better plant? Check out our care tips below to see how to keep your ZZ going strong.
Get 20% off your purchase of any size ZZ Plant, all this week (October 13 – October 20). You can also enter to win this plant three different ways: in store, or online through our Instagram and Facebook accounts. Winners must be able to pick up in store.
Quick Tips and Tricks for your ZZ Plant:
- Water the ZZ Plant once it has pretty fully dried
- Not over-watering is key for the ZZ as it naturally stores water
- When in doubt, wait a little longer to water
- Consider using perlite in your soil to make it more well-draining, and make sure your pot has a drainage hole
- This plant is light-flexible
- Anywhere from bight indirect light, to low light works
- Be sure not to put your ZZ plant in direct light as it can scorch the leaves
- The ZZ plant will grow more quickly when in bright indirect light, but it makes an excellent low-light plant as well
- Consider turning your plant occasionally for nice, even growth
- When repotting your ZZ you’ll notice it is quite bulbous (it grows from rhizomes). You may even need to cut the ZZ out of it’s grow pot if it has become compacted
- This plant is quite toxic so you’ll want to avoid or keep out of reach of curious eaters
- For our full list of pet friendly plants you can read our blog about it here
Looking for more? Check out some of our other plant posts on our blog.